Thursday, February 26, 2009

I play fetch with myself for my job!

That is right friends I play fetch with myself for work. Currently in my nomad life I have taken on a job with OSU College Forests supervising a tree planting crew. So, you might ask how I play fetch with myself? Well Since I inspect the tree planters work I have to have some kind of "randomization" to the process. So I tie bright pink flagging to a stick throw it, find it, and inspect the area it lands in, when I'm done, repeat. This goes on for eight hours a day! The job is not exactly difficult in the manor of to hard to think about, but let me tell you on Friday afternoon, in the rain it is very difficult to hike my tired butt to the stick I just threw 300 feet. We work on average 55 hours a week and of that 55 hours 48 are spent hiking around clear cuts. That is also right none of this hiking is on manicured trails or on flat terrain, but up steep, slash covered clear cut units, in all inclement weather. I love my job!
With this job I do get up very early and get a chance to see the beautiful early morning sky!
Any guesses as to what mountains these are?

2 comments:

  1. I was a tree planting inspector on the Umpqua NF back in the 70s. It was a pretty good experience. I used to see a herd of elk almost every morning on the way to the planting units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it's the Grand Tetons!!!!!

    ReplyDelete