Thursday, March 5, 2009

When it rains, it pours.

If you don't like the weather here in Oregon wait five minutes. This seems to be very true to word, especially today and this week for that matter. The funny thing about weathermen is that they seem to be right only 50% of the time, the biggest question I have is, what 50%.
As someone who works outside I depend on a weather report every morning. Regardless of the weather I am out there, except for snow, but that is a visual thing mainly. But the morning weather report allows me to gather myself, think about what I will need for the day, and brace myself for a humdinger of a storm. Monday of this week I read that there was a 90% chance of rain, so the good worker that I am I prepaired myself early in the am and dressed myself in my horrible unbreathable rubber rain gear for a long day of rain. When I get to the site where we're working there are hardly any clouds in the sky. By lunch we had about ten minutes of rain and after that it was clear and beautiful, in fact I got a wicked sunburn on my face. Yes, it rained, but nothing that I would think 90% chance would equate to. Tuesday same thing, but this time I was smart and left the rubber rain gear to the truck to hold on to "just in case". Finally today the weather report reads 30% chance of rain, now most of the time I would enjoy the day of no horrible rain gear. But when I drove to work this am at 5:30 it was pouring outside! In fact it didn't let up until after lunch when it decided to hail, then snow, followed by a short visit by El Sol him self, a very short visit.
So, I guess what I have learned about the weather report is that if is says 30% chance of rain it is not necessarily going to rain for only 30% of the day, that goes for 90% also. I suppose what I really should do is just stop looking and come to terms that if it rains it pours and it doesn't really matter what it does, because I will be out there regardless.
For those of you who know about the rubber rain gear I wear you know that it sucks. I would invest in a nice pair that breath, move with my body, and still keep that rain out, but that crap rips in one day out in the field I work in. Not to mention I am not the most graceful when I'm walking around clearcuts, really I don't know anyone who is. So If you have a good recommendation of rain gear to try let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I hate the weather reports too, the other day I was all freaked out because I had to drive an hour out and back for work and the forecast was snow. The News was also reporting from snowy places with snowy streets. I was scared for nothing, the roads were dry and it snowed for two seconds.

    ReplyDelete